Historic Antebellum Schools of Holmes Co., MS

Prior to the American Civil War, the elite arranged for private education of their children, founding private academies and schools. Some sent their children to the North (particularly Philadelphia, which had many Southerners) or England for education. The state government did not set a curriculum. Most children were educated at home for the skills they needed to help support their families. Funding for the few schools was left to private donations and student tuition. In Columbus, Franklin Academy for Boys was opened in 1821 as the first public school in Mississippi for white students. By 1830, only thirteen percent of white children were enrolled in public schools, and there was limited access to government-funded schools at the beginning of the Reconstruction. Source: Wikipedia.

Information in table contributed by Dan Edwards.

School Name Year Town/Location
Sources:
  1. Weekly Democratic Advocate, 3 October 1856.
  2. Lexington Union, 5 January 1839.
  3. Lexington Standard and Holmes County Record, 21 June 1838.
  4. Whig Republican, 24 December 1840.
Note: Charter dates generally lagged original opening dates of schools by two or more years. Dates given reflect approximate opening dates of schools.